Health care guides will be more helpful for a first time parent to take care of her newborn baby better. Care will also be given to the mother in the postnatal period. WHO recommended that the mother with her newborn baby will not be discharged before 24 hours after birth. The person who is accompanying them will have full responsibility for the mother and the baby. After birth, it is important to do the post-natal examination of both as soon as possible. Many complications can occur in the first 24 hours after delivery.
Health care guide for a newborn baby:
- Along with the physical examination of the newborn baby, you, the doctor have to communicate about how the baby is doing, with the mother and the family. You should provide practical guidance about breastfeeding and cord care.
- Keep the baby clean and warm. The baby should be covered with 1-2 layers of cloth which can sufficient warmth to the newborn baby. Breastfeed every day and night and let the baby lie on her back or side. The cord must be kept clean and don’t put anything on the stump. Keep the baby away from sunlight and smoke.
- In addition, to the general care of the baby, there will be some danger signs too. There may be breathing difficulty, fits, neonatal jaundice, diarrhea, etc. So the baby should be taken to the hospital as soon as possible.
- Some babies having breathing difficulty needs neonatal resuscitation. So discuss such particular situations with the family and advise them to keep attention in the newborn baby.
- Babies with low birth weight are at greater risk to get infected and died. Low birth weight babies may have difficulty in feeding.
Health care guide for first time mother:
- After birth, the woman and the newborn baby should be examined within 24 hours. By discussion, you have to make the husband and family understand the health of both and the immunization schedule of the newborn baby.
- It is important to tell the mother about the bodily changes after delivery which may affect the sexual relation. She may feel a lack of interest in sexual intercourse due to increased tiredness and pain. So reassure the mother that these are normal changes and it will improve with time.
- Women in the postnatal period should maintain a balanced diet. It will help in milk production and also regaining her own health. Iron and folic acid supplements should take for about 2 months after delivery.
- There are cases in which maternal deaths happening within 1 week after delivery. Ask the mother to bring her medical records even if it is an emergency visit.
- There are some post-partum danger signs such as vaginal bleeding, severe headache, blurred vision, breathing difficulty, swollen red tender nipples, problems in urination, vaginal discharge, infection in the area of the wound, severe depression, and suicidal tendency, etc. If the mother has any of the above-mentioned signs she has to consult a doctor immediately.
- There may be postnatal blues (feeling depressed) after 1 week of delivery. Sometimes this postnatal depression lasts for a longer period of time. Then she will experience loss of appetite, low energy, fatigue, and sleeplessness. Thus they need emotional support. Assure them that it is a temporary condition.
The mother and the newborn baby needs proper care, as they are passing through the most precious time period. So the family and the doctor should give them proper attention and care.